Gap Years and Volunteering
Are gap years and backpacking the same thing? It’s a common question and something a lot of people get confused about.
More than often, gap years are years taken either in between college and university, after university and before work, or as a career break. Hence the name ‘gap’. Gap years aren’t just about travelling or backpacking around several countries, they usually involve a placement in a country where you are able to work for some time. The work undertaken is usually volunteer work but on occasions you may receive a low wage.
Gap year people (or gappers as they are called in the industry) are not tourists, they want to immerse themselves in the culture and become completely involved within the community. From a gap year you will step outside of your comfort zone, but you will be welcomed with open arms, so you will really have the chance to make a difference in the area in which you are involved. Gap years are a wonderful opportunity to expand your skills and gain confidence interacting with all sorts of people before you enter the next stage of your life. Volunteering is a rewarding experience and you will get the chance to meet all sorts of inspiring and humble people.
If you want to go on a gap year you need to choose the type of work placement you prefer. Listed below are several categories given as guidance on possible gap year activities, however, placements can vary much more than this:
- Community projects: agriculture, building, cultural development, teaching, health and social work.
- Conservation: Animals, buildings, coral, rainforest and vegetation
- Childcare: orphans, disadvantaged youth, special needs, medical care
- Animals: animal care, animal tracking, orphaned animals, rehabilitation.
- Sport: coaching.
Once you have chosen the desired field in which you would like to work, you can then go on to choose the country where you would prefer to work. Obviously options can be fairly limited depending on what type of volunteering you want to do, but gap year options can be available in nearly all countries… so you’re likely to be spoiled for choice!
Here is a list of companies and web sites that specialise in setting up gap years and volunteering:
- Volunteer South America - Free and Low-cost volunteer work in South America.
- Lattitude - Lattitude Global Volunteering is the new name for Gap Activity Projects!
- Gap Year - The original Gap year company
- Gap Advice - Independent advice on gap years for people of all ages
- Bunac - Work, volunteer and teach abroad in your gap year.
- i-to-i - Meaningful travel - in your gap year
- Real Gap Experience - Gap Year, Adventure Travel & Volunteer Work.
- Greenforce - The non-profit adventure specialists.
- True Travellers Society - Volunteering the World.
- Volunteer Latin America - is a comprehensive source of free and low cost volunteer opportunities
This is a non-profit site built by backpackers for backpackers. We hope you find this a valuable resource!
Why you should buy a Car or Camper van and drive 40 000 kms around Australia..
New Australian Prime Minister
The Great Aussie Icons